Due to its many benefits, virtualization is fast-becoming a necessity versus a nice-to-have. So if you are considering taking your organization’s virtualization up from a crawl to a walk (or even a healthy jog!) here are some tips to help get you on your way:
- Make sure your physical hardware can handle the strain of your virtual capacity
- If you are planning a large virtualization deployment, make sure to invest in SAN storage
- You don’t have to virtualize everything – make sure the right applications and servers get virtualized
- Consider the security implications of virtualization and enhance your network security
- If you want to deploy numerous VMs, save time by creating VM templates
- Be sure to monitor virtual traffic as diligently as you monitor physical traffic
Last but not lease, remember that the best rule of thumb for any new initiative is to do your homework and remember to plan, plan, PLAN!